My Etsy Shop Experience




My Etsy Shop is finally up. I have had a lot of people ask me questions about Etsy since I started talking about it. Etsy is a place where all types of artists display/sell their crafties. There are so many things on Etsy and many of them are amazing. You would not believe the talent in this world. It is similar to ebay minus the fact that you cannot bid on an item and the items are all handmade.

When I thought about pursuing this Etsy experience I literally thought that I would craft some jewels, click some pics and pop them online. No, just in case you are wondering what all is entailed, it is not like that at all. It takes a lot of research and time. I read somewhere that it is not for the faint of heart and I do believe that.

Look at me, all I have is two items for sale and that was probably 30 man hours. My biggest obstacle has been my camera. It takes horrible pictures. It was a purchase that I was forced into when my last camera went kapput. I have read and read and done everything I can think of. Tomorrow I am going to a friend's house who is a photographer who can "shed some light" on this dilemma. No pun intended or maybe just a little one. :)

I have learned lots of terms: lightbox, white balance, macro and delete delete delete!!!


The other obstacles that I have faced are pricing, shipping and handling including setting up a paypal merchant account, as well as jewelry terms. Girls, I just buy a bunch of beads, some wire and start stringing them! I have had to go back and figure out what I have been using. This is really wild stuff. I am hoping to at least make enough to get my time back! :)

No, really the entrepreneurial wild woman in me is
having the time of her life. The perks is that you get to think of creative displays and get to do your hobby and call it, "WORK." Waaaaahhh! :) Really, honey, I can't cook right now. . .I am working ;)

2 comments:

CassieMarie said...

Hi Desiree' and welcome to the oh so wonderful world of Etsy. I was just browsing blogs and I found yours. I have been on Etsy for about 4 months now and I just recently opened my second shop. Etsy is addicting, seriosuly. Lol. I'm sure you will do great, just be persistent and promote, promote, promote! It will all pay off! I look forward to seeing you on Etsy and good luck!
Cassie
http://www.Patterns4All.etsy.com
http://www.cms36451.etsy.com

Anonymous said...

Eeeeek! I'm so proud of you! And excited! I know you're going to have the time of your life! :u)