Menu Plan Monday - I'm back!!!!

You didn't miss me did you? Did you know I was gone? I was eating out ALL WEEK in Florida. Eating out should be against my religion, not just from the money that I spent and the pounds that I gained, but the sheer fact that I just felt lazy.

Oh well, so much for a week of slovenliness (yes, I looked that up and it is a word). We need this week to be light and simple. Light as in not only easy to make but light in calories.

Monday - whole wheat spaghetti, salad and breadsticks. My incredible husband tried whole wheat spaghetti the other day while I was gone and says it tastes fine - almost normal. I wish I had a penny for every moment that I think about how awesome he is.
Tuesday - ball games at 5:30 and 6:00; BLT sandwiches on whole wheat toast
Wednesday - roast/carrots and potatoes in crockpot, greek salad, dessert: blueberries with lemon yogurt
Thursday - ball games at 6:00 and 7:30; pancakes and bacon (not so light, but easy!)
Friday - crunchy baked chicken and Zucchini with Corn and Cilantro (from Cooking Light Super Fast Suppers cookbook by Southern Living)
1 tsp olice oil
3 1/2 cups cubed zucchini
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
1 T fresh cilantro
1 tsp fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and corn; cook, stirring occasionally 7-8 minutes until zucchini is crisp and tender. Remove from heat and add rest of ingredients. You can use this as a substitute for salsa or guac or as a side for tex-mex plate.
Saturday - dear, sweet friends coming from Texas! may not be here for dinner
Black Bean and Poblano Tortilla Wraps
(from Cooking Light Super Fast Suppers cookbook by Southern Living)
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
1/2 tsp cumin
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup diced ripe avocado
1/2 poblano chile, finely chopped 1/3 cup

1/4 cup finedly chopped red onion
1/4 cup cilantro leaves (we have these growing out of our sidewalk!)
3 T fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp salt
4 8 inch flour tortillas
Combine sour cream and cumin in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Combine beans and next 6 ingredients in a bowl. Spoon equal amounts of black bean mixture down center of tortilla. Roll up, cut in half and secure with wooden picks if necessary. Serve with sour cream mixture.
Sunday - Tacos, black bean salsa and
Black bean/Cream cheese dip
1 package of cream cheese spread out on the bottom of 8 X 8 baking pan
drain black beans and spread on for next layer
drain can of rotel (tomatoes and green chilis) and spread on for the 3rd layer
sprinkle with cheddar cheese
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until heated through and bubbly. Great with tortilla chips or cucumbers if you are low-carbin it!!
Monday - homemade pizza and breadsticks, salad, cookie salad
Tuesday - grill out hotdogs and hamburgers, s'mores by the firepit (boy do we have lots of wood!!. . .more details to come on this)

Want to try in upcoming weeks list:
Chicken n Spinach Pasta Bake
Chicken and Mushrooms with Lemon White Wine Sauce

Happy frugal cooking and planning!

7 comments:

John Mark said...

that's a very sweet comment you made about me.... :-)

Mandi said...

Looks like a yummy menu! I love spaghetti, but haven't had it in a while.

Anonymous said...

I heart black beans. I am going to try a few of these recipes!

katherine said...

hey! i'm bummed i didn't win your contest last week :) oh well. maybe next time?

i'm trying the chicken n spinach pasta bake later this week. i'll let you know how it is.

your cookie salad sounds great! i'll be eager to hear how everyone likes it.

one last thing, we need to figure out when we might be able to come visit. the summer is filling up fast!

John Mark said...

We had to switch things last night as Mr. Dad decided to make shopping a family fun event. :-) Very exciting. Dinner ended up being a variety of things. Not sure exactly what. Mainly ice cream I think. So instead we had BLT for lunch today. Those were yum.

Request for next week: Gazpacho!!!!

chinbel said...

Wow! Very well planned and so yummy foods. I appreciate the blog because I also loved to cook and experiments new menu,especially every time we had our Family Blessings I am assigned to be the cooked

laixinjie said...

i'm trying the chicken n spinach pasta bake later this week. i'll let you know how it is.
By the way,I like custom photo mugs