Swimming with Purpose


Today, in the midst of getting ready for lunch with some friends and homeschooling my 7 year old as well as answering my work phone I was reminded of this poem. It was my favorite poem in college. I found it in a devotional book that I was reading at the time. It especially encouraged me to persevere through my senior year. Sometimes, I just get overwhelmed and I think the struggle is for nothing. I feel like giving up and I want to take the gloomy view!!! I am reminded today that I want to come out on the tip top of the butter!! Hope you enjoy the poem as much as I have! Don't forget to keep swimming!


Two frogs fell into a deep cream bowl;

The one was wise, and a cheery soul.

The other one took a gloomy view

And bade his friend a sad adieu.


Said the other frog with a merry grin,

"I can't get out, but I won't give in;

I'll swim around
till my strength is spent,

Then I will die the more content.


And as he swam,
though ever it seemed,

His struggling began
to churn the cream


Until on top of pure butter
he stopped, And out of the bowl
he quickly hopped. The moral you ask?
Oh, it's easily found! If you can't get out, keep swimming around!

1 comment: