The Foundations of the Earth

I am so glad that God laid the foundations of the Earth instead of me because let me tell you it is hard work!!! Did I tell you that we are adding on to our house? Our carport was rotten (I know my friends are tired of hearing about my carport woes) so we finally decided to have a do over. We are adding a master bath, extra bedroom, extra living space and two car garage.

I am very excited about the end product that may just be a year from now being finished. We are in the very early stages and it is wild around here. My kids are in awe over the heavy machinery that we have had to bring out to be our little helpers in the process. We are mostly doing everything ourselves to save money. We do not own a backhoe so we had to bring those in for a couple of hours. Tomorrow the concrete truck is coming and we plan to have some fun getting all of the air bubbles out.

Two days ago I spent about three or four hours lifting concrete cinder blocks onto a trailer and then placing them in the back of our yard. Two days a week, I do a think called boot camp and it costs me $5 per one hour session. Prince Charming told me I owed him money for the cinder block workout. Yeah, I may not need boot camp anymore since we have our own now.

Tonight I spent about three hours tying wire around rebar rods to establish a firm foundation when we pour the concrete tomorrow. It will help the concrete foundation keep from buckling. Hope I did it right!! :) I asked Prince Charming if I could use construction worker language a couple of times. Hopefully, I will not have a "potty mouth" by the end of the year!

The cool part of the construction project is the family time. The kids helped us out a lot tonight and they even mentioned that we were having a fun family time together. I think we are not only laying the foundation of our house, but the foundation our home as well. Pretty neat stuff going on over here. What is going on in your neck of the woods?

The bad part about construction is that you only have so many hours of light in a day so dinner gets put on the "back burner" literally and figuratively. It is 8:45 pm and we are just about to pull the pizzas out of the oven (which were not scheduled until later in the week) but they were fast. Oh well, at least we did not eat out. :) Better pull the pizzas out and feed the babies before we do not have dinner at all. More construction talk to come.

5 comments:

chona said...

woah! you NEVER cease to amaze me. You DO wear many hats, don't you??? Have fun, and remember, measure twice and cut once! :)

Anonymous said...

What do you mean, you don't have a backhoe?!! I thought everyone had one of those :D Sounds like you guys are doing an awesome job!

Anonymous said...

What do you mean, you don't have a backhoe?!! I thought everyone had one of those :D Sounds like you guys are doing an awesome job!

nora said...

Desiree
You are the winner of the Caribben Beach Bread from Tastefully Simple!! Congratulations!! www.tastefullysimple-nora.blogspot.com
Please email me with your mailing address and I will get that out to you right away!!
nora.oswald@yahoo.com
Cheers!!
Nora

Momma said...

Desiree,
Are you on facebook? The Clouds just had their baby--didn't know if you knew yet.